Locum doctor jobs are more in demand than ever before as NHS and private sector budgets tighten, particularly for doctors who want to work at a time and location of their choice, says locum agency Ambition 24Locums.
Working through one of the leading locum agencies still offers great opportunities for qualified doctors who want extra shifts and pay or to choose to work part-time for their work-life balance. Rates are up to £120 per hour (consultant, Bank Holiday rate) at Ambition 24Locums. The agency offers both NHS and private sector vacancies, and is an accredited ‘Buying Solutions’ supplier.
Ambition 24Locums offers this advice to GP and hospital locums in all specialisations:-
1) Register with more than one locum agency: to increase your opportunities for work, you can start the process of locum registration through Ambition and register just once to work for other selected agencies
2) At registration, ensure you provide all the information required, to complete the process as soon as possible: Ambition meets with all candidates locally for face-to-face interviews and to help them complete the registration process. Initial registration should be started on-line through the Ambition 24Locums web site. Documents required include: CRB certification; completion of a detailed agency application form; recent job references relevant to experience and proof of qualifications.
3) Keep your registrations current: once you have registered with the locum agencies, ensure that your annual certifications are up to date – whether for training, CRB or other requirements. Ambition can provide details of a range of on-line and classroom-based locum training courses required for work under the NHS Buying Solutions framework, at prices from £10.00 on-line
4) Are you a specialist? In addition to the general requirements for GP and hospital doctors, there is a continuing need for a range of specialisations: Accident & Emergency, Anaesthetics, Dental, General Medicine Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Paediatrics, Pathology, Psychiatry, Radiology, and Surgical staff. Current certificates are essential as proof of your speciality, so Ambition can match your qualifications with relevant work. Also, if you do additional specialist training on an annual basis in your permanent job, then please inform the agency.
5) Let the agency know when you are free to work: Ambition’s on-line web diary enables medical staff to confirm when they are available. It’s worth updating the diary at least weekly. Be flexible: if Ambition knows that you will accept work at short notice – or that you will work some evenings, weekends or Bank Holidays – you are more likely to receive more, higher-paying shifts
6) Stay in touch: find out which Ambition consultants deal with the location where you want to work. It’s helpful to e-mail the names of the towns and hospitals so that Ambition’s staff can help – and when they get to know you and the type of work you want, it will increase work opportunities
7) Social Media: it’s worth registering for Ambition’s Facebook and Twitter pages so that you are up to date on the latest agency news and job opportunities
8) Feedback is always welcome. Let the agency know if there is anything with which you are unhappy or that could be done differently – or other issues you have in the workplace. Good locum agencies are grateful for feedback
9) Tell a friend: if you have friends who are interested in medical staffing work, then telling them about the agency is often helpful. Visit Ambition’s Facebook and click on ‘Like’ or email the web address: www.a24locum.co.uk
10) Consider your career: are you looking for specific types of work or experience? If you are, do discuss this with your Ambition consultant, as the agency may be able to help, if you meet the client requirements for relevant shifts
For further information contact us:-
Group House, 92 – 96 Lind Road
Tel: 0871 873 3300